Friday, February 09, 2007

Life is too short: Are we really aware of that?

I just came back from an absentee funeral prayer for Muhannad Jondy. Muhannad was one of the first people I met when I came to the US. I can't claim that I was close to him but I can say that I always had so much respect for him. People say that I am a good judge of character and I believe that Muhannad was a decent young man. May Allah shower him with His mercy and grant him paradise.
No matter how many times we come across a reminder like this that our life is too short and that death can come when you least expect it, I don't really feel that I internalized that meaning. I believe it, I accept it conceptually but I haven't internalized. That is very scary. We will never be ready to face Allah and be held accountable for our deeds but we have to reach a state of perpetual readiness for the hereafter. I am not there and that is worrisome. May Allah perfect our endings.
This is the second time in my life to pay condolences to a father for the loss of his son. If I can hardly express how tough this was for me, I am not sure you can imagine how hard it is for the parents themselves. The real consolation here is that the prophet (peace be upon him) said: إنما يبتلى المرء على قدر دينه which means that you get tested in life as much faith you have in your heart. I believe that this is a great family. The Jondies are a family of giving. I can't even list their contributions to everyone they knew. May Allah give them patience.
I had mentioned that I was expecting a month of emotional roller coaster but never in my mind did I think it was going to start that way. Please pray for the Jondies.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

may Allah ta'aala pour His sabr upon them and shower Muhannad with His mercy and forgiveness. And may we meet with all our brothers and sisters in paradise. inna lillahi wa inna ilayhi raji'oon. al-qalbu ya7zan wal-3aynu tadma3 wa laa naqoolu illa maa yurDi-r-Rabb.

Ayman said...

Jazak Allahu Khayran